Card games are played all over the world in the best online casinos, land-based casinos, and between friends. They can form a common bond. A bit of luck, skill, and good sportsmanship go a long way with these games.
Beat the dealer with the hand at or closest to 21 without going over.
- The dealer will use either one, two, four, six or eight decks of cards to deal two cards (one face up, one face down) to himself and each player.
- All non-face cards count their value, face cards count as ten, and the ace can count as either 1 or 11.
The cards that the players have and the dealer’s card that is visible forces them to make choices:
- Hit – Take another card to get close to 21 without going over.
- Stand – Being dealt no more cards, accept your hand, and your turn is finished.
- Double – Double the bet, and take one more card.
- Split – When dealt two identical cards, the player is allowed to play each one separately and take two more cards; the original bet is doubled.
After the players have made their decisions, the dealer then turns up his card. The dealer will take a hit on a total of 16 or less and will stand on a score of 17 or higher.
The winning players are those who beat the dealer without going over 21. Being dealt a 21 is called a blackjack or a natural.
Pai Gow Poker
Pai Gow poker is also called double-hand poker. In this game, cards are used instead of the dominoes that are used in the traditional Chinese game of Pai Gow.
Pai Gow Poker is played with one deck of 52 cards with a single joker shuffled into it.
Create two hands out of the seven cards that are dealt and beat both of the banker’s hands. The banker can be the dealer or one of the players.
How to Play:
- After placing their bets, the players are dealt seven cards. Out of those, they must make two poker hands. One must be a poker hand with five cards while the other hand consists of two cards.
- The players then set their hands in front of them with the two cards in front and the five cards behind.
Winning at Pai Gow Poker:
Players determine the value of their hands compared to the banker. Here are the resulting scenarios:
- Win: The player must have both hands beat the banker.
- Push or tie: When one of the players’ hands beats the banker, but the other hand does not. The player then takes back his money.
- Lose: The banker’s hands beat the player’s hands.
- The joker in the two card hand is played as an ace, while it can be used to complete a straight or flush in the five card hand.
Texas Hold ‘Em
Texas Hold’em is a variation of poker in which the player is dealt two cards and then plays their hand based on those two cards along with five community cards.
Whoever gets the highest value five cards wins. Players are dealt two hole cards, and then players make their hand by selecting additional cards from the community cards.
- Players are dealt two cards face down, known as the hole cards.
- Then, five community cards are dealt face up in three different stages: three flop cards, one turn card and one river card.
Rounds of Betting:
Four betting rounds occur, and after each round, players can do one of the following:
- Check—A player declines to make a bet.
- Call—Match a bet or match a raise.
- Bet—Bets open the round.
- Raise—Boosting the size of a bet in a round.
- Fold—Surrender the cards.
Tips for Playing Texas Hold ‘Em
The best players are willing to fold instead of fight through an average hand or poorly dealt hand. This is called playing tight.
Raising is important to do when a player has a strong hand.
Limping is betting the minimum amount that’s needed to stay in a hand. Don’t limp very often.
Other card games to play at online casinos include:
Forty Thieves Solitaire: Considered a challenging game of skill, there are two decks of forty cards each that are dealt face up. There are 10 columns, each of which receives four cards. The goal is to eventually move all the cards to eight foundational piles in the same suit.
King of Chkobba: A popular game that is played internationally in countries including Mexico, Tunisia, and Italy. The goal is to take as many of the opponent’s cards as possible with the score being tallied at the end of each round.
Cassino: Also known as Casino, this is a game of 21 played by “fishing up” cards displayed on the table. It’s usually played by two people with a deck of 52 cards. Four cards are dealt face up to each player, and then four cards are placed in the center. This continues until all cards are dealt.
Players score for
- highest number of cards,
- highest number of spades,
- 10 of diamonds,
- 2 of spades,
- each ace is worth a point, and
- clearing the board is called a sweep and is worth one extra point.
Card games allow players to think, take chances, and compete strategically. There are many creative card games the world over to explore and learn at the world’s best online casinos.