What Are Multi-Reel Slot Machines
The original “one-armed bandit” slot machine had three spinning wheels (reels) that were set in motion by putting a coin in the slot and pulling a lever on the side of the machine.The goal was to align specific symbols on the reels to win.
Slots with multiple paylines offer plenty of chances to win. Just remember that the “house” still always has the edge.
- Older machines had three reels and ten symbols,which meant there were 1,000 winning combinations.
- Online slot machines can have from nine to more than one-thousand paylines. Possible winning combinations then soar into the hundreds of thousands and millions.
Slot Machine Payouts and Paylines
When playing multi-reeled slots, it is helpful to know how paylines affect payouts.
- Paylines are lines to bet on and are represented by images. In the old three-reel slot machines, lemons and cherries were the most recognizable images. Today, machines have themes such as foxes and bears or TV shows and movies. The images you want to land on will reflect those themes.
- Payouts are the amount you win. How many combinations of imagesthere are, plus the number of bets placed, will determine the amount of the winning payout.Random number generators choose the image mix, and the images are assigned specific values.
The typical house advantage, or edge, of a slot machine can run anywhere from 2% all the way up to 20%. As an example of the house advantage, if you are playing dollar slots and the house advantage is 5%,on average you will lose 5 cents out of every $1 bet.
Thousands of spins are needed to determine the actual house advantage.
Basic Slot Machine Strategies
- A slot machine player has little to no control over the outcome.
- There is no such thing as a lucky or hot machine—not in a land-based casino and certainly not online. Each game is operated by software that uses true random number generators.
- You can get a feel for multi-reel slot machines online by playing for free. Once you’re comfortable then play with real money.
- It’s smart to set a budget and stick to it, whether it’s five dollars, ten dollars, or more. That way you reduce your impulse play and have a guide for how many bets to place.
- Playing multiple coins and bets increases the odds of winning. For example, when playing four quarters instead of one dollar, the payout will be lower for the smaller denomination but the odds of winning will be slightly higher.
- On a multi-reel slot machine, a player can have multiple winning combinations on the same spin.
- Many players decide that once they winthey will walk away. An alternative is to play one more time. It’s important not to think you’re on a “hot streak.” Winnings are random, and therefore a win just means you got lucky.
How to Place Bets on Multi-Reel Slot Machines
Choose your play based on dollar amounts and paylines. Multi-reel slot machines normally will let you choose how many paylines you want to bet on.
- Multi-reel slot machines are often flexible and will let you choose your coins to play.
- The amount you bet depends on your coin value and paylines chosen.
- Penny Slots—One spin, one cent.If you place one bet on one payline, you get one spin.
- High Roller—You can bet an amount like $10 over 30 paylines.
- Maximum Playlines—Some machines have 10 or 20 playlines, and you have to bet on all of them. These aren’t common.
Types of Multi-Reel Machines
Multi-reel slot machines have many unique features. This variety of features is one of themost attractive things about playing slots.
- Coin and Dollar Amounts—There are various coin and dollar amounts you can play, sometimes referred to as Penny Slots or Dollar Slots.
- Bonus Slots—Winning combinations trigger bonuses. These slots allow additional spins and more chances to win.
- Technological Features—Multi-reel slots will differ based on the screen interface and how the machine operates.
- 3D Slots—Enhanced graphics make a game come alive and create a more entertaining experience than regular multi-reel slot machines at online casinos. The play is the same as the non-3D types.
- Interactive Slots—A story unfolds as the bets are placed. Murder mysteries and romances are common. So are sci-fi and slots based on popular game shows like Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune.
- Lucky 7 Slot Machines—For those who want a traditional slot machine ‘feel’ at an online casino, the Lucky 7 slotslooks like a traditional slot machine with three reels and one payline. It often has attractive payouts.
- Progressive Slot Machines—Playing progressive slot machines is like playing the lottery. There’s one jackpot that grows every time a game is played but not won. Machines can be linked together to increase the jackpot even higher. The odds of any one person winning are quite low – but someone is going to win.
- Apps—Many of the most popular multi-reel games have apps you can download.
- Multi-reel slot machines have many special features including various symbols and free spins.
- Bonus symbols trigger a bonus feature.
- Scatter symbols mean that a certain number will trigger bonus features.
- Multiplier symbols increase a player’s winnings when they appear in a winning combination.
Multi-reel slots are being improved upon regularly as technology changes and advances. The games that are played today will have more features in the years ahead.
Like their slot machines, the best online casinos have a variety of features and rules. Before playing, understand the terms and conditions for withdrawing earnings from the casino. Some casinos may require up to four days.